Chrono Trigger Status Effects
In Chrono Trigger, most status effects are caused by an equippable item (such as an armor, headgear or accessory), a tech used by an enemy, or a tech used by an ally. Most status effects can be cured by using certain healing techs like Kiss and Slurp Kiss or by using a Panacea. Negative effects that cannot be cured by a Panacea are Curse, and Omnilock. Status Immunity is capable of preventing any negative or neutral status effects. All status effects are automatically removed after a battle ends.
Some minor status ailments are inflicted along with normal damage, often seen in enemy techniques such as the Naga's "Nagamour / Slow" tech, or the Fangbeast's "Wing Blow / Confuse" tech , while some of the more advanced ones have a separate spell or skill designated to produce that effect, such as Haste. Every status enhancement effects, at minimum, one target. Some have an area effect that includes surrounding units.
List of Status Effects in Chrono Trigger
Negative Status Ailments
- Poison: Hit Points slowly drain and attacks weaken. It is visually indicated by purple bubbles floating over the characters head.
- Sleep: Exempt from acting and defense severely drops. It is indicated by the character lying down and sleeping with Z marks appearing over their head. (Zzz..)
- Blind: Lowers hit rate of all actions. It is indicated by an eye with an X appearing over a characters head.
- Stop: Unable to act. Visually indicated by a clock above the character's head and the character being immobile in their field pose rather than their battle pose.
- Slow: Increases the time between attacks. Indicated by a white outline surrounding the inflicted character.
- Lock: Unable to use Techniques. Indicated by a question mark appearing above a character's head.
- Sap: Hit points are slowly drained from the inflicted character, similar to poison but at a faster race of decrease. (about 1 HP per second)
Uncurable Status Effects
- Omnilock: Unable to use either Tech or Item command. Once inflicted, it becomes uncurable for the remainder of that battle.
- Curse The effects of status immunity are negated.
Neutral Status Effects
- Chaos: The character attacks an ally or enemy at random. Their accuracy is also reduced. Indicated by a star appearing over the character's head, and the character in question behaving strangely, such as laughing inappropriately.
- Berserk: The character auto-attacks enemies, but techniques and items cannot be chosen by the player, nor can the target of each attack be chosen.
Positive Status Enhancements
- Haste: Halftime between turns for self or an ally. Indicated by a red outline on the character.
- Protect: Physical resilience increases for self or an ally. Indicated by a yellow outline on the character.
- Barrier: Increases magical resistance for self or an ally. Indicated by a green outline on the character.
- Status Immunity: Provides immunity to negative status effects.
Ways to remove status effects in Chrono Trigger
- Dried Mushroom (Chrono Trigger (DS) only)
- Ayla's Kiss tech
- Marle and Frogs' double-tech Double Cure
- Ayla and Frogs' double-tech Slurp Kiss
- Take damage (only works for Confuse and Sleep)
- Letting a certain amount of time elapse (only works for Stop)
- Having a character inflicted with a status effect knocked unconscious, and then reviving them (such as with an Athenian Water)
- End the battle.
Equipment that protects against status effects in Chrono Trigger
- Vigilant's Hat (Headgear, provides immunity to all negative status ailments. All characters can equip it.)
- Rainbow Helm (Headgear, provides immunity to all negative status ailments. All characters can equip it.)
- Gloom Helm (Headgear, provides immunity to all negative status ailments. Only Magus can equip it)
- Master's Crown (Chrono Trigger (DS) exclusive Headgear, provides immunity to all negative status ailments, only male characters can equip it)
- Angel's Tiara (Chrono Trigger (DS) exclusive Headgear, provides immunity to all negative status ailments, only female characters can equip it.)
- Nova Armor (Armor, provides immunity to all negative status ailments. Only male characters can equip it.)
- Schala's Amulet (Accessory, provides immunity to all negative status ailments. All characters can equip it.)
Chrono Cross Status Effects
Status effects in Chrono Cross can be separated into two categories: status effects which effect the inflicted both in and outside of battle, and status effects that only effect the inflicted during battle. The latter type automatically goes away after battle (much like status effects in Chrono Trigger). The former type must be cured by using the corresponding elemental consumable (listed below under the "Status Restoring Elements" section), by using a Panacea (Element), or by using an inn.
Unlike Chrono Trigger, all status effects that appear in Chrono Cross are negative. Most status effects are inflicted by Elements of the corresponding color. Both party members and enemies can be inflicted with status effects.
List of Status Effects in Chrono Cross
Battle and Field Map Status Effects
- Poison (Green): HP decreases with time during battle/HP decreases with movement on field maps
- Burn (Red): Defense decreases in battle/Damage taken on field maps double
- Sprain (Yellow): Attack decreases in battle/Cannot run on field maps
- Flu (Blue): Stamina recovery rate decreases/Movement control becomes difficult on field maps
Battle Only Status Effects
- Afraid (Green): More susceptible towards enemy critical hits
- AntiYellow (Green): Cannot use yellow elements
- Confused (Red): Loss of control and may attack allies as well as enemies
- AntiBlue (Red): Cannot use blue elements
- Dizzy (Yellow): Evasion decreases
- AntiGreen (Yellow): Cannot use green elements
- Frozen (Blue): Cannot act (Game Over when all party members are frozen)
- AntiRed (Blue): Cannot use red elements
- Fatigued (White): Stamina is used up more quickly with actions
- Asleep (White): Cannot act and defense is decreased
- AntiBlack (White): Cannot use black elements
- Darkness (Black): Hit chance decreases
- Cursed (Black): Stamina is used when attacked
- AntiWhite (Black): Cannot use white elements
Status Restoring Elements
These can be used in and outside of battle, due to them being consumable elements.
- Antidote: Cures all green status effects
- Ointment: Cures all red status effects
- Brace: Cures all yellow status effects
- Medicine: Cures all blue status effects
- WhiteOut: Cures all white status effects
- BlackOut: Cures all black status effects
- Panacea: Cures all status effects
- Purify: Cures all status effects of the target
- HolyHealing: Cures all HP and status effects (targets all characters)
- Revenge: Shifts user's negative status effect on to the enemy. If effective, the user will no longer have that status effect.
- Saints: Attacks all enemies, cures allies HP, and cures status effects (targets all characters). It is a White elemental summon, so requires the field effect in the upper left corner to be colored all White (Element).
|Chrono Trigger Status Effects|
|Negative Status Effects||Poison | Sleep | Blind | Stop | Slow | Lock | Sap|
|Neutral Status Effects||Berserk | Confuse|
|Positive Status Effects||Haste | Protect | Barrier|
|Chrono Cross Status Effects |
(Elemental type in parentheses)
|Field and Battle Status Effects||Poison (Green) | Burn (Red) | Sprain (Yellow) | Flu (Blue)|
|Anti-"Element" (Battle only status effect)||AntiYellow (Green) | AntiBlue (Red) | AntiGreen (Yellow) | AntiRed (Blue) | AntiBlack (White) | AntiWhite (Black)|
|Battle only Status Effects||Afraid (Green) | Confused (Red) | Dizzy (Yellow) | Frozen (Blue) | Fatigued (White) | Asleep (White) | Darkness (Black) | Cursed (Black)|
|Status Recovery Elements (Cures the above)||Antidote (Cures Green) | Ointment (Cures Red) | Brace (Cures Yellow) | Medicine (Cures Blue) | WhiteOut (Cures White) | Black Out (Cures Black) | Panacea (Cures All)|
|Battle Only Status Recovery Elements||Purify (Cures All) | HolyHealing | Saints (White Summon) | Revenge|