Black Omen (Location)
This article needs help with restructering the whole article. You can help Chrono Wiki by .
The Black Omen
|Time Period||Dark Ages, Middle Ages, Present|
The Black Omen was once the Ocean Palace that was destroyed by Lavos. In the alternate time-line (post Crono interference), it was transformed into a flying arcology, a temple infused with the near-infinite power of Lavos by using the Mammon Machine. The Omen serves as a final dungeon in the game (though actually entering it is optional, the player can fight Lavos without entering the Black Omen) --where the party was to go through and defeat the wicked Queen Zeal and face Lavos in all its forms.
With the immortality bestowed upon her Majesty by the Mammon Machine and its connection to the Gates, Queen Zeal is prepared to wait out the millennium until Lavos awakens and rains its havoc upon the world. Until the party enters this vast dungeon and defeats Queen Zeal, it will appear at all points in time (save for the pre-historic). People will actually not pay it mind, since it has been floating in the sky for thousands of years.
The player may escape through the Time Gate inside Lavos after Lavos' shell is confronted from the Black Omen. This will cause Gaspar to change his most intriguing line in the SNES version.
- "One of you is close to someone who needs help... find this person..fast!"
- — Gaspar before defeat of Zeal
This line looks as if it was about Schala. The line below disproves this belief, henceforth the line above is about Zeal.
- "That poor woman can finally rest, now that the Black Omen is gone... She's reverted back to a human..."
- — Gaspar after defeat of Zeal
The Black Omen can only be reached by the flight-enabled Epoch. After it rises from the ocean, it can be entered in 12000 BC, 600 AD, or 1000 AD. Should the party try to enter it in 2300 AD, they will find the doors locked shut and Zeal mocking the party.
- "Know this! The Mighty Lavos reigns here! Relax poor creatures... The Mighty Lavos has already consumed this world's life energy!"
- — Zeal mocks the party visiting Black Omen in 2300 AD
The Black Omen can be fought a total of three times: during the Dark Ages, Middle Ages, and Present. As mentioned, it cannot be fought in 2300 AD. As mentioned before, it also did not exist during 65,000,000 BC. Note that you must fight it backwards through time (i.e: Present, then Middle Ages, then Dark Ages). Destroying it at an earlier time will erase the existence of the Omen from any future time periods.
- The Undersea Palace rises to the top of the clouds but the Kingdom falls into the sea.
- There is a "reverse" time discontinuity at the entrance of the Black Omen. If the player takes out the Laser Guards at any time period, except on 12000 B.C., the enemies will not appear if the player travels back in time and visits the Black Omen again. A clear example would be fighting the Laser Guards in 2300 A.D. and visiting the Black Omen again on 1000 A.D.