Cats are recurring characters in Chrono Trigger. Crono confronts them as household pets, traps, distractions, and antagonists. Often, these cats are unlike any cat in the real world. They appear as tiny, furry animals in an array of colors. Despite their variations, each one has a white triangle on its chest. Cats only appear between Antiquity and the Future. Likely, these felines evolved from larger cats found in Prehistory.
- Crono's House - 1000 AD: A cat that follows the player around, while inside the house. Food for it can be obtained at the Millennial Fair by winning a mini-game in Norstein Bekkler's Tent of Horrors after having won a second cat. As the cats eat the food, more cats appear -- evidently their offspring.
- Leene Square - 1000 AD: A little girl has lost her cat. Crono can return it to her; if he does, she will be one of the witnesses for Crono during the Trial.
- Ozzie's Fort - 600 AD: A cat flips a switch, and Ozzie The Great falls.
- Zeal Palace - 12000 BC: A cat (named Alfador) that follows Janus around.
- Lucca's House - 1000 AD: Taban says there was a cat in Lucca's house, although it is never seen.
- Leene Square - 1000 AD: There is a race between a cat (named Catalack), a Reptite (fake of course), a Royal Guard, and a Soldier.
- Giant's Claw - a cat falls from the ceiling, when the floor opens.
- Abandoned Sewers - in 2300 AD. This cat is a trap that starts an ambush by causing noise, similar to the fake Save Point and the dropped can.
- Village Commons - Alfador can be found following Janus around. If Magus is in the party, Alfador will follow him around.